Presidential spokesman Harry Roque was quoted as saying “He stands by the recommendation of the Department of Health (DOH) to hold Sanofi responsible,” spokesperson Roque said in a press briefing.
Roque also noted that the Duterte administration want by bare of minimum a refund of what we have paid already for the Dengvaxia.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III has demanded from Sanofi Pasteur a refund of the P3.5 billion the government paid for the vaccines in 2016.
The statement of the President was due to the fact that the French manufacturer, Sanofi, concealed important information, that those not previously infected with dengue and got vaccinated with Dengvaxia could contract “severe disease.”
The Philippine government through the DOH in coordination with DepEd and LGUs implemented in 2016 the use of Dengvaxia, the world’s first dengue vaccine. According to DOH more than 830,000 children were vaccinated.
Based on the timeline of event, the Dengvaxia controversy started on November 29, when Sanofi released a statement that those who were immunized with Dengvaxia, but did not have a prior dengue infection, are at risk of having “severe disease.”
The DOH said around 10 percent or 80,000 of vaccinated children are at risk. This prompted the DOH to temporarily halt its dengue vaccination program on December 1, 2017.
Source: CNN Philippines