DICT Assures Public Third Telecom Company Will Be Operational in March 2018

1 min read
Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) assured the Filipino public that the highly anticipated third telecommunications player will be operational starting March 2018, as ordered by Pres. Rody Duterte.

According to DICT Officer-in-Charge Eliseo Rio Jr., the entry of the third telecom player aims to break the longstanding “duopoly” in the telecom industry dominated by Globe Telecom and PLDT Smart Telecom.

The OIC of DICT revealed that the structure for the terms of reference on choosing a third player is already being crafted by the Duterte administration.

In an interview with Super Radyo dzBB, DICT OIC Eliseo Rio Jr., was quoted as saying “Magkakaron tayo ng third player in three months…. ma-identify na natin at pwede nang mag-umpisang mag-operate by end of March. So, gumagawa na kami ng terms of reference para sa pagpili ho kung sino young third telco na ‘yan.”

During a media statement last December, Malacañang said that President Durterte wants the third telco player to start providing services to consumers by the first quarter of 2018.

Pres. Duterte already instructed the DICT and the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) to approve applications and licenses within several days after complete requirements are submitted, even as he warned the courts not to “interfere and prolong” the process.

PCOO Head Martin Andanar revealed during an interview with the media that China Telecom Corporation Limited has been chosen by the Chinese government to enter the Philippine telecommunications industry as the third player.

China Telecom needs to partner with a local telecom company to complete their entry as required by the 1987 Constitution that restricts foreign ownership of a telecommunication equity to only 40 percent, and reserves the other 60 percent to Filipino citizens or corporations.

Source: PNA

Ed Umbao

Founder of PhilNews.xyz | co-Founder of PhilNews.ph

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog