Based upon the complaint of the younger Duterte, he said that Trillanes should be held criminally liable for calling him and the President “illegal drug smugglers,” in connection with the P6.4 billion worth of shabu shipment that slipped into the countr in May 2017.
The Libel case filed by Duterte is punishable with up to six months imprisonment under the Revised Penal Code.
“Worse, respondent has also defamed and labeled me and my father as ‘principal actors’ in the illegal drug trade in Davao City,” Paolo Duterte said. The case was filed before the Office of the City Prosecutor in Davao City.
Paolo Duterte attached a transcript of Trillanes’ phone interview with CNN Philippines’ Senior Anchor and Correspondent Pinky Webb last June 14.
He dismissed Trillanes’ claims as “black propaganda,” saying they are “downright false, baseless and unfounded” and based on hearsay.
In the interview, Trillanes cited claims made by Customs fixer Mark Taguba, who testified in legislative hearings that the so-called “Davao Group” had been asking brokers for bribes to hasten the release of shipments at the Bureau of Customs, dropping the names of Paolo Duterte and brother-in-law Mans Carpio.