The former mutineer-turned lawmaker was quoted as saying “Natalo po ang demokrasya ngayong araw na ito… Officially ay wala po tayong demokrasya (Democracy in the country was defeated today. It’s officially dead),” he said.
Sen. Antonio Trillanes statement came out after the Makati RTC Branch 150 issued the arrest warrant in connection with the rebellion charges against the senator were revived based on Proclamation 572 signed by no less than Pres. Rody Duterte.
The senator was charged over his involvement in the Manila Peninsula siege in 2007. Sen. Trillanes already posted the P200,000 bail hours after the Makati RTC Branch 150 issued a warrant for his arrest on Tuesday, September 25, 2018.
Aside from the case of Sen. Trillanes assigned at Makati RTC Branch 150, the senator is also facing another charges at RTC Branch 148, which is handling the coup d’etat charges over the Oakwood Mutiny in 2003. RTC 148 has yet to issue an arrest warrant, this case is non-bailable unlike the previous rebellion charged from RTC Branch 150.
Both uprisings were staged against the Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo administration by the Magdalo, a group of dissident soldiers that is now a party-list organization with representation in Congress.
“Gaya ng sinasabi ko last week, itong mga petisyon namin sa korte ay pagsubok sa ating demokrasya. Kahit pinakita na namin lahat ng ebidensya ay gayun pa rin, inilabas pa rin itong warrant of arrest na ito… This case goes beyond me,” Trillanes said.
(As I said last week, the petitions we have filed in court will serve as test case for our democracy. Even if we presented all the evidence to support our case, an arrest warrant was still issued against me.)
“Nanaig ang kadiliman at kasamaan ito sa ating bayan. Kung ano man ang mangyayari sa hinaharap ay nasa kamay na ng buong Pilipino,” he added.
(Evil has prevailed in our country. Whatever happens in the future lies in the hands of the Filipino nation.)